Why is it okay to have these things?
- An HDTV/DVR cable box with a SATA cable plugin in the back, making it possible for people to save content and view it whenever they want, and offload it digitally to a hard drive
- A radio with an analog or digital audio recorder (CD-R, cassette recorder, digital recorder, etc.) that can record terrestrial radio signals
- Home boxes that allow for time- and place-shifting (like Slingbox) that can allow people to consume content any way they like
- A device that receives satellite radio and allows users to record and play back content.
- A software-based recorder on one's computer that picks up online radio feeds and allows for recording and playback
I think this smacks of legislating to protect outdated business models.